Category Archives: SOTS
I’m all booked with plane tickets and room. Looking forward to it very much.
Bloomsbury will publish this volume in the Winter.
The volume, being published by Bloomsbury T&T Clark in the Library of Hebrew Bible/ Old Testament Studies, comprises seven essays by long-serving Officers of the Society:
- ‘The Origins of the Society for Old Testament Study: Cultural, Political and Religious Antecedents’, by Ronald Clements (Foreign Secretary 1974-1981, President 1985).
- ‘The Society for Old Testament Study: 1917-2017’, by Eryl Davies (Archivist since 2012, President 2013).
- ‘A Timeline of SOTS’, by John Jarick (Secretary 2000-2009).
- ‘A Century of SOTS Papers’, by David Clines (Secretary 1977-1982, President 1996, Foreign Secretary 2005-2012).
- ‘From People and Book to Text in Context: Volumes that Speak Volumes’, by Adrian Curtis (Secretary 1983-1988, President 2016).
- ‘A Snapshot of SOTS at 100: Collegiality and Diversity in the Membership of the Society for Old Testament Study’, by Katharine Dell (Secretary 1995-2000).
- ‘The Way of the Future? Into Our Second Century’, by Paul Joyce (Secretary 1989-1994, President 2017).
Members of the Society can order the volume at a substantial discount. See the email from Viv Rowett.
Pillaged from the group’s FB page–
SOTS meetings are always the best. The atmosphere is excellent and the assembly collegial. I’m looking forward to being in Nottingham this January for the Winter meeting.
If you’re a person with proper qualifications (and yes, you have to qualify for membership just as you do for the Catholic Biblical Association) you should join. Seriously. Here’s how.
If you are a resident of the United States and would be willing to review this volume, drop me a line and I’ll send it along (and do be sure to mention your qualifications to do so).
If you haven’t checked out the SOTS webpage lately you should. Jonathan Stökl and Jim ‘James’ Aitken are doing a fantastic job keeping it in tip top condition and added a super new feature- the Conference Calendar. It’s on the front page. You can see who is doing what when in the Summer Meeting next week. — http://sots1917.org/
Mat Collins writes on the SOTS facebook page-
For those interested in that sort of thing, it was 100 years ago today (29th June 1916) that the first proper planning meeting for SOTS was held. Nine scholars met in the rooms of R.H. Kennett at Queen’s College, Cambridge, and resolved to move ahead with the proposed “British Society for Old Testament Studies” and to hold an inaugural meeting in London (at King’s College) at the start of January 1917.
According to the minutes, those in attendance were: Rev. Prof. W. Emery Barnes, Rev. Principal W.H. Bennett, Rev. Principal W.E. Blomfield, Stanley A. Cook Esqr., Dr. G. Buchanan Gray, Rev. Canon R.H. Kennett, Prof. A.S. Peake, Rev. T.H. Robinson, and Rev. Principal John Skinner.
Fantastic beginnings for the best learned society in the world.