There are nine things I can think of which strike me as happy, and a tenth which is now on my tongue:
- the man who can be proud of his children,
- he who lives to see the downfall of his enemies;
- happy is he who keeps house with a sensible wife;
- he who does not toil with ox and donkey;
- he who has never sinned with his tongue;
- he who does not serve a man less worthy than himself;
- happy is he who has acquired good sense
- and can find attentive ears for what he has to say;
- how great is he who has acquired wisdom;
- but unsurpassed is one who fears the Lord.
The fear of the Lord surpasses everything; what can compare with someone who has mastered that? (Sir. 25:7-11)
This is a tremendously disturbing report and Google/ YouTube needs to fix it, today. Max Fisher tweets
YouTube’s algorithm has been curating home movies of unwitting families into a catalog of semi-nude kids, we found. YT often plays the videos after users watch softcore porn, building an audience of millions for what experts call child sexual exploitation.
Each video might appear innocent on its own, a home movie of a kid in a two-piece swimsuit or a nightie. But each has three common traits:
• the girl is mostly unclothed or briefly nude
• she is no older than age 8
• her video is being heavily promoted by YouTube’s algorithm
Any user who watched one kiddie video would be directed by YouTube’s algorithm to dozens more — each selected out of millions of otherwise-obscure home movies by an incredibly sophisticated piece of software that YouTube calls an artificial intelligence. The families had no idea.
We talked to one mother, in Brazil, whose daughter had posted a video of her and a friend playing in swimsuits. YouTube’s algorithm found the video and promoted it to users who watched other partly-clothed prepubescent children. Within a few days of posting, it had 400,000 views. We talked to child psychologists, sexual trauma specialists, psychologists who work with pedophiles, academic experts on pedophilia, network analysts. They all said YouTube has built a vast audience — maybe unprecedented — for child sexual exploitation, with grave risks for kids.
Read the whole. And let YouTube and Google know what you think.
About the only good thing to come out of Trump being president is that Evangelicals have finally been forced out of the closet: They never cared about Jesus, they only care about political power and earthly riches. – Betty Bowers
Was to convince the Zurich council that
… all the clergy should preach the word of God; that the Bible should be read and explained daily in three languages—Hebrew, Greek, and Latin; that greater attention should be paid to education, and that candidates for the ministry should be thoroughly trained.
It’s a shame that very sage and wise guidance is nowadays ignored. And the Church suffers for it immensely.
While spending as much as he cut for every trip to his Florida golf club…