If Pastors used the same excuses as Church members do when they ‘can’t make it to worship’ here’s what they’d say when they were asked to do weddings or funerals:
- I have company coming over.
- We got a new puppy.
- I’m going to a fireworks show.
- I’ll be at the lake.
- We’re on vacation for the Summer.
- The kid isn’t feeling well so we’re all staying home to take care of him.
- I just have so much to do.
- I need some alone time.
- I did a funeral last year. Isn’t once a year enough?
- The alarm didn’t go off.
- It was raining too hard.
- It was too hot.
- It was too cold.
- It was snowing.
- I forgot all about it!
- I didn’t like what you said last week.
- All that stuff is extra-curricular activity.
- There was a game on that I just had to watch.
But, of course, Pastors aren’t as willing to lie so they will do what’s best instead of what they want.