People have known about the lurid details of Barth’s adulterous affair with Charlotte von Kirschbaum for DECADES. The fact that American Evangelicals
- Can’t read German
- Have never read Barth’s Correspondence
- Are blind to any critique of Barth
Doesn’t mean that others have not known. ‘Recent revelations’? NEIN!
Barth remains one of the most important theologians of the 20th century. That fact can’t be changed. What can and should be changed are the following:
- Americans need to learn a language or two.
- Americans need to stop viewing the world of theology through their parochial lens.
- Americans need to dive into the deep end of the theological pool and realize there’s more to life than Barth.