Brilliantly said. It ends thusly, but you should read every word-
Now that death has taken him, we should examine our own sins. Liberals should ask why their crusade for freedom and equality found itself with such a captain, and what his legacy says about their cause. Conservatives should ask how their crusade for faith and family and community ended up so Hefnerian itself — with a conservative news network that seems to have been run on Playboy Mansion principles and a conservative party that just elected a playboy as our president.
You can find these questions being asked, but they are counterpoints and minor themes. That this should be the case, that only prudish Christiansand spoilsport feminists are willing to say that the man was obviously wicked and destructive, is itself a reminder that the rot Hugh Hefner spread goes very, very deep.
No one can be a better churchman than one who has never been a heretic – Jerome
It’s quite telling that the very people who are positioned to say something to Trump and have a hearing have said nothing. These are his sycophants, deniers of the Gospel, and damnable heretics on his council-
· Michele Bachmann – Former Congresswoman
A.R. Bernard – Senior Pastor and CEO, Christian Cultural Center
· Mark Burns – Pastor, Harvest Praise and Worship Center
· Tim Clinton – President, American Association of Christian Counselors
· Kenneth and Gloria Copeland – Founders, Kenneth Copeland Ministries
· James Dobson – Author, Psychologist and Host, My Family Talk
· Jerry Falwell, Jr. – President, Liberty University
· Ronnie Floyd – Senior Pastor, Cross Church
· Jentezen Franklin – Senior Pastor, Free Chapel
· Jack Graham – Senior Pastor, Prestonwood Baptist Church
· Harry Jackson – Senior Pastor, Hope Christian Church
· Robert Jeffress – Senior Pastor, First Baptist Church of Dallas
· David Jeremiah – Senior Pastor, Shadow Mountain Community Church
· Richard Land – President, Southern Evangelical Seminary
· James MacDonald – Founder and Senior Pastor, Harvest Bible Chapel
· Johnnie Moore – Author, President of The KAIROS Company
· Robert Morris – Senior Pastor, Gateway Church
· Tom Mullins – Senior Pastor, Christ Fellowship
· Ralph Reed – Founder, Faith and Freedom Coalition
· James Robison – Founder, Life OUTREACH International
· Tony Suarez – Executive Vice President, National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference
· Jay Strack – President, Student Leadership University
· Paula White – Senior Pastor, New Destiny Christian Center
· Tom Winters – Attorney, Winters and King, Inc.
· Sealy Yates – Attorney, Yates and Yates
None of these persons behaves as a Christian. Sadly, not even the Southern Baptists on the list.
P.J. Williams, “The Greek New Testament, Produced at Tyndale House.” Early Christianity 8 (2017): 277-81. Should you be interested, contact me privately and I will be glad to share my copy of the essay. Here’s what Peter asserts, in part-
The overall conception of the edition has been to combine eclecticism with a radical documentary approach, defined as allowing the Greek documents themselves to play as significant a role as possible in the guiding of an eclectic edition.
Our edition is not intended to rival the Nestle-Aland edition, which will generally have a fuller apparatus and an array of information on manuscripts, citations, and cross-references for which we offer no counterpart. Nevertheless we believe that this edition is sufficiently different in its conception and in the information it provides that it should be an essential part of the Neutestamentler’s reference library. For study of the orality or poetics of the NewTestament we believe our edition should be the starting point.
The textual apparatus is quite intelligently and elegantly done. Here’s Mark 16:9ff. You may have to click on the picture to enlarge it-
The font is beautiful and the new paragraph layout style is genius:
Wherefore cease to worry me and to overwhelm me with your scrolls. Spare at least your money with which you hire secretaries and copyists, employing the same persons to write for you and to applaud you. Possibly their praise is due to the fact that they make a profit out of writing for you. If you wish to exercise your mind, hand yourself over to the teachers of grammar and rhetoric, learn logic, have yourself instructed in the schools of the philosophers; and when you have learned all these things you will perhaps begin to hold your tongue.
And yet I am acting foolishly in seeking teachers for one who is competent to teach everyone, and in trying to limit the utterance of one who does not know how to speak yet cannot remain silent. The old Greek proverb is quite true “A lyre is of no use to an ass.” For my part I imagine that even your name was given you out of contrariety. For your whole mind slumbers and you actually snore, so profound is the sleep—or rather the lethargy—in which you are plunged.
In fact amongst the other blasphemies which with sacrilegious lips you have uttered you have dared to say that the mountain in Daniel out of which the stone was cut without hands is the devil, and that the stone is Christ, who having taken a body from Adam (whose sins had before connected him with the devil) is born of a virgin to separate mankind from the mountain, that is, from the devil. Your tongue deserves to be cut out and torn into fragments.
So let’s hear Christians speak out against immoral politicians as much as they do false teachers.
When teaching in church seek to call forth not plaudits but groans. Let the tears of your hearers be your glory.
A presbyter’s words ought to be seasoned by his reading of scripture. Be not a declaimer or a ranter, one who gabbles without rhyme or reason; but shew yourself skilled in the deep things and versed in the mysteries of God.
To mouth your words and by your quickness of utterance astonish the unlettered crowd is a mark of ignorance. – St Jerome
The result is a bastardized pseudo-theology and pseudo-christianity not even fit for a dog. Indeed, a dog has a clearer moral center than Hood.
Arrived in the mail today in a quite lovely box. Photos below. And for more on the project see here.
When asked in Einsiedeln, when he was already widely known as an expert in Scripture and its interpretation, where a new student of Scripture should begin, Zwingli remarked
“Study the Holy Scriptures, and that you may better understand them, read Saint Jerome. However, the time will soon come, with God’s help, when Christians will little esteem Saint Jerome or others, but the Word of God only.”
Later on Zwingli would come to realize that those left to Scripture alone, without the benefit of sensible guides, would become Spiritualists and Heretics.
Some persons are so ignorant of themselves and so stupid and foolish that they make themselves laughing stocks to those who see them [for what they are] because of their gesture or gait or dress or conversation. — Jerome
If all sinners are punished alike, it is unjust for one to be slain while another is admonished by his comrade’s death. — St Jerome
This from the Catholic Biblical Association –
Wishing you a blessed feast day of Saint Jerome, our patron saint. Saint Jerome is a Doctor of the Church and the Patron Saint of Scholars and in particular of the Catholic Biblical Association. He was born in 331 AD in what is now known as Croatia and eventually lived the last 30 years of his life in a cave in Bethlehem, dying in 420. Arguably, his most famous line is “Ignorance of Scripture is ignorance of Christ” which occurred in his commentary on Isaiah. His learning was a way of purification for him. He is most famous for his translation of the Scriptures in Latin (the Vulgate).
May the Lord richly bless all our endeavors and keep us faithful. May our work help in the building up of His kingdom.
Amen and amen. I love Jerome. Happy Jerome day to one and all.
After Charlotte von Kirschbaum moved into Barth’s house, Barth signed his notes to her in the following ways1:
- ‘I am having such joy! And I love you so much!’,
- ‘I just love you so much’,
- ‘I am so happy! I l. you so much’
or, later, simply
- ‘I l. y. s. m. (sure? sure!)’ or ‘Oh you…..’, ‘Oh you!’, ‘D. L. … you know’,
from 1931 occasionally:
- ‘I am constantly thinking of you and I love you much more, even much more than…
for example, on 1 August.
- Although already then I liked you quite a lot, after all. You!’.
In 1934, he writes from Rome:
- ‘Be, dearest, a thousand greeting and kisses, by your d. Karl’,
and finally, in a language style of a modern text message, apart from ‘I l. y. s. m.’ once also
- ‘L. d. L. I l. y. s. m.’.
1Biography and theology. On the connectedness of theological statements with life on the basis of the correspondence between Karl Barth and Charlotte von Kirschbaum (1925–1935), by Susanne Hennecke