The blessed and holy St. Jerome wrote
The books of Origen have been read before a council of bishops and unanimously condemned. The following are his chief errors, mainly found in the περὶ ʼΑρχῶν.
- The Son compared with us is truth, but compared with the Father he is falsehood.
- Christ’s kingdom will one day come to an end.
- We ought to pray to the Father alone, not to the Son.
- Our bodies after the resurrection will be corruptible and mortal.
- There is nothing perfect even in heaven; the angels themselves are faulty, and some of them feed on the Jewish sacrifices.
- The stars are conscious of their own movements, and the demons know the future by their courses.
- Magic, if real, is not evil.
- Christ suffered once for men; he will suffer again for the demons.
The Origenists have tried to coerce me; they have even stirred up the heathen by denouncing the destruction of the Serapeum; and have sought to withdraw from the ecclesiastical jurisdiction two persons accused of grave crimes. One of these is the woman who was wrongly placed on the list of widows by Isidore, the other Isidore himself. He is the standard-bearer of the heretical faction, and his wealth supplies them with unbounded resources for their violent enterprises. They have tried to murder me; they seized the monastery church at Nitria, and for a time prevented the bishops from entering and the offices from being performed. Now, like Zebul (Beelzebub) they go to and fro on the earth.
You can find them these days at Fuller.