An Arkansas man assumed the boy wrapped in a blanket on the futon in his home was his sleeping cousin. But hours later he realized it was a 14-year-old boy he’d never seen before who, police determined Thursday, had been shot while playing with a gun with a friend. Little Rock police said the boy, TyJuan Woodard, died after he and a 13-year-old friend were playing with a gun that accidentally fired and shot him in the chest Wednesday. The younger boy had covered Woodard’s body with a blanket, then left and spent the night elsewhere without telling anyone what happened, police spokesman Lt. Terry Hastings said.
Doubly tragic because senseless and unnecessary.
Hastings said he wasn’t sure how the boys got a hold of the gun, which belongs to one of the 13-year-old’s relatives. He said they were playing with the gun in a bedroom when it went off and shot the 14-year-old in the chest.
I wasn’t even there and I know how they got a gun: some senseless adult left it out where it could be found and didn’t bother to keep the bullets locked away as well. Well done, senseless adult, well done…
- Leave Your Gun Laying Around and This Is What Can Happen… (zwingliusredivivus.wordpress.com)
- National Carnage Day (counterpunch.org)
- Marysville cop charged with manslaughter in daughter’s death (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Dad charged with manslaughter after 3-year-old son shoots sister (usnews.msnbc.msn.com)
- Dad charged with manslaughter after son shoots sister (usnews.msnbc.msn.com)