Zwingli, Theological Education, and the Prophezei

Reformed theological education was born on the 19th of June, 1525 when Huldrych Zwingli and his co-workers established the ‘Prophezei’.  Zwingli and the others would meet with clerics and interested lay folk from the city and surrounding area early each morning and lecture on the Bible.

At the opening of each session, they prayed this prayer-

Omnipotens sempiterne et misericors Deus, cuius verbum est lucerna pedibus nostris et lumen semitarum nostrarum, aperi et illumina mentes nostras ut oracula tua pure et sancte intelligamus et in illud quod recte intellexerimus transformemur, quo maiestati tuae nulla ex parte displiceamus: per Jesum Christum dominum nostrum. Amen.

Of the Prophezei, Schaff notes

A theological college, called Carolinum, was established from the funds of the Great Minster, and opened June 19, 1525. It consisted of the collegium humanitatis, for the study of the ancient languages, philosophy and mathematics, and the Carolinum proper, for the study of the Holy Scriptures, which were explained in daily lectures, and popularized by the pastors for the benefit of the congregation. This was called prophesying (1 Cor. 14:1). Zwingli organized this school of the prophets, and explained in it several books of the Old Testament, according to the Septuagint. He recommended eminent scholars to professorships. Among the earliest teachers were Ceporin, Pellican, Myconius, Collin, Megander, and Bibliander. To Zwingli Zurich owes its theological and literary reputation. The Carolinum secured an educated ministry, and occupied an influential position in the development of theological science and literature till the nineteenth century, when it was superseded by the organization of a full university.

Tagged: , ,

2 thoughts on “Zwingli, Theological Education, and the Prophezei

  1. Michael Acidri 19 Jun 2011 at 11:08 am

    Great post!


  2. […] Zwingli, Theological Education, and the Prophezei ( Over de stichting van het theologisch college Carolinum, dat werd opgericht van de fondsen van de  Overste Generaal en geopend werd op 19 juni 1525. […]


Comments are closed.